ASSISTANT ARCHIVIST FOR AV COLLECTIONS – Dearborn, Michigan
This position offers the opportunity to work with an established collection of audiovisual assets and as a member of a team, while gaining experience in a dynamic business archives. The contract will run through December 2021 with the possibility of extension.
The Assistant Archivist for AV Collections will
- appraise and accession past and current video, motion picture, and digital media, in consultation with the AV Archivist, using a formal appraisal methodology;
- ingest and catalog digital assets in collections management system, utilizing existing procedures, description schema, and in-house controlled vocabulary;
- directly respond to research requests by performing subject searches for internal/external customers;
- utilize the broader Archives’ collections (paper, photographs, negatives, 3D objects) as needed to answer internal/external research requests;
- digitize analog media formats and edit digital media files in response to research requests and upload into collections management system;
- maintain records of AV materials obtained from commercial sources including information on copyright, usage restrictions, and credit;
- coordinate with external film/video vendor to facilitate digitization of large segments of analog moving image holdings;
- develop and suggest recommendations concerning procedures and equipment.
Applicants for this position should
- have 2-3 years experience working in archives and with AV materials;
- be familiar with digitization and editing software for moving image formats;
- have the ability to learn and identify key subjects and locations portrayed in video and multimedia assets;
- be familiar with the physical care and preservation of motion picture and video materials;
- have basic knowledge of copyright laws and usage restrictions as they apply to AV resources;
- be familiar with format compatibility and resolution specifications;
- have an undergraduate degree (study in communications and/or history would be helpful).
The following also will be considered:
- ability to work independently on a range of internal and external research projects of varying complexity;
- organizational skills;
- outgoing, team-focused personality;
- current study or graduate degree in archives.
Salary range: $50,000 – $54,000 with benefits, based on experience and qualifications.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to Sam Markham, firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Assistant Archivist for AV Collections – Dearborn”