LAC Group is seeking an experienced and innovative Research Center Director for a cultural institution in Savannah, GA. Serving as the team leader for the library and archives, the Director of the Research Center will lead, plan, manage, and oversee the library and archival collection and ensure the provision of high-quality reference services to patrons. The Director of the Research Center will work closely with executive leadership to ensure that the work in the library and archives is in keeping with the strategic goals and objectives of the institution. The selected individual will oversee the allocation of recently awarded funds toward the expansion and renovation of the research center as well as the implementation of new archival and preservation processes. This is an exciting opportunity to live in the beautiful city of Savannah managing of one of the oldest and most distinguished collections of Georgia’s history.
- Supervise and lead the library and archives staff and serve as the primary contact/expert for the institution in these areas
- Participate in the renovation of the research center by ensuring the safety of the collection during temporary rehousing and guaranteeing that archival needs and standards are met in the updated facility.
- Oversee reference services, donor relations, and acquisitions management.
- Work closely with senior staff to plan and set goals and objectives for the future of the Research Center. Determine the services needed, the most effective way to provide them, and the resources necessary to support them, developing system improvements as needed.
- Administer and control the expenditure of departmental fund allocations within the constraints of approved budgets and make recommendations for best use of funds. Prepare reports for executive leadership and funding agencies.
- Direct the development and maintenance of archival collections and other library materials.
- Provide leadership with regard to creation and implementation of best practices in library and archives management and administration. Develop, maintain, and oversee the institution’s policies and procedures and the implementation of necessary policy updates.
- Present special programs and instructional activities to extend library services and facilities across the State. Participate in professional archival or library associations, and other professional organizations to remain current on developments and advancements.
- Masters in Library Science or Archival Studies from an ALA-accredited institution;
- 6-8 years of progressively responsible library and/or archival administration experience, including at least 3 years in a supervisory capacity;
- Knowledge of the principles and best practices of archival and library functions as well as current archival arrangement and description standards. Knowledge of computer standards and applications in archives and libraries is necessary.
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues at all levels as well as with the general public;
- Ability to work independently and manage highly sensitive material in a confidential and secure manner while possessing initiative, good judgment, and discretion.