The Media Archivist will be responsible for processing and cataloging both analog and born-digital materials, preparing assets for digitization, coordinating with vendors to complete digitization projects, and monitoring digital preservation workflows. This position will work with a variety of materials including open reel videotape, videocassette, audiocassette, film, optical disc, LTO, and born-digital. Some local travel may occasionally be required. This is a full-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Head of Collection Information and Digital Assets.
This position will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Processing and cataloging all types of media, with an initial focus on magnetic media and small gauge film.
- Overseeing the digitization of audiovisual material including determining priorities, working with vendors, and performing QC on deliverables.
- Facilitating secure transfer of born-digital media accessions.
- Monitoring ingests of assets into the digital preservation system.
- Continuing a media risk-assessment survey.
- Upholding best practices for collections processing, storage, handling, and use.
- Maintaining playback equipment.
- Data clean-up projects as assigned by Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications/Key Skills Required
- MLIS from an ALA-accredited university or equivalent relevant work experience.
- 2+ years of archival experience working with analog and born-digital audiovisual materials.
- High level of professionalism and integrity with the capacity to maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of archival content management systems and digital preservation systems (experience specifically with ArchivesSpace and Preservica a plus).
- Ability to identify various video and audio formats, recognize signs of deterioration, and address individual preservation requirements.
- Film handling experience.
- Understanding of digital preservation principles, digital formats, and concepts related to digital use, migration, and reformatting.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision as well as collaboratively as part of a team.
- Technical competence and willingness to learn and grow in technical understanding.
- Exacting attention to detail, while maintaining a high level of productivity.
- Flexibility and willingness to change focus when directed.
Salary range: $32-$35 an hour depending on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401K, and paid sick and vacation time.
To apply: please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org