The New York Public Library’s Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture Moving Image and Recorded Sound Division seeks a detail oriented and solution-minded individual to facilitate managing and preserving its world class archival holdings and to serve as a resource and facilitator for public service access.
The Moving Image and Recorded Sound Division collects and preserves audio and moving image (AMI) material related to global black experiences. The Division is central to the NYPL’s and Schomburg Center’s mission to advance knowledge and inspire lifelong learning by the strength of its collections but also by the compelling nature of AMI materials, which literally give movement and voice to the major historical, artistic, and cultural moments of the Twentieth Century.
Working with and under the supervision of the Curator, the responsibilities of the Specialist II/Librarian II position are to:
- Organize, inventory, catalog and create finding aids for MIRS’ AMI collections
- Manage ongoing processing, metadata and collection maintenance
- Remain current with evolving AMI standards in consultation with NYPL’s archival, metadata, preservation, conservation, cataloging and digitization units
- Manage archiving, metadata and collection digitization
- Conduct in-person, telephone and email reference
- Monitor and analyze the effectiveness of operations and participate in short and long-term divisional planning
- Serve on relevant committees, task forces, and working groups
- Support the Schomburg Center’s collection development strategies, public services, policies and procedures and special projects, including exhibitions and publications
- Perform related duties as required